Restaurant Industry Trends for 2023
by Kevin Stockslager, EVP & Partner, Wray Executive Search
The restaurant industry has undergone significant changes in the past few years and continues to evolve in 2023. As consumers increasingly prioritize convenience and a personalized dining experience, restaurant owners must keep up with the latest trends to remain competitive. Here are some of the most notable trends in the restaurant industry for 2023.
- Delivery and Takeout Services: With the rise of food delivery apps, customers are demanding greater convenience in the way they order and receive their food. In response, many restaurants have invested in online ordering and delivery systems that allow customers to place orders directly from their mobile devices. As a result, more and more restaurants are offering takeout and delivery services to meet this demand.
- Technology-Driven Dining: In 2023, technology continues to play a significant role in the restaurant industry. From self-service ordering kiosks to automated ordering and payment systems, restaurants are utilizing technology to improve the dining experience for customers and streamline operations. In addition, virtual and augmented reality experiences are starting to gain popularity in the industry, allowing customers to preview dishes before ordering.
- Sustainability: Sustainability has become a top priority for many consumers, and restaurants are taking notice. From reducing food waste to using locally-sourced, organic ingredients, restaurants are finding new ways to reduce their impact on the environment. In addition, many restaurants are shifting to eco-friendly packaging, such as reusable containers and biodegradable containers, to reduce the amount of waste generated by takeout and delivery services.
- Personalized Menus: Customers are demanding more personalized experiences, and restaurants are responding by offering customized menus based on individual dietary restrictions and preferences. Whether it’s offering gluten-free options or allowing customers to build their own dishes, restaurants are taking a more personalized approach to dining.
- Health and Wellness Focus: In 2023, the trend towards healthier dining continues to gain momentum. Restaurants are offering healthier options, such as salads, smoothies, and grain bowls, and promoting their commitment to wellness through marketing and advertising. In addition, many restaurants are offering nutrition information and calorie counts on their menus to help customers make informed choices.
- Plant-Based and Vegan Options: As consumers become more health-conscious, they are increasingly seeking out restaurants that offer healthier, plant-based options. Vegan and vegetarian dishes have become a staple on many menus, and restaurants are experimenting with creative ways to make these dishes appealing to a wider audience
The restaurant industry will continue to evolve in 2023, driven by trends such as delivery and takeout services, plant-based options, technology-driven dining, sustainability, personalized menus, and a focus on health and wellness. As customers increasingly demand convenience, personalization, and healthier options, restaurants must adapt to stay relevant and competitive.
All the best in 2023!
Kevin Stockslager, Ph.D., EVP & Partner