By Bob Gershberg, CEO/Managing Partner, Wray Executive Search
Virtual interviewing is becoming the new reality for both interviewers and interviewees alike. As you might surmise, we have been conducting many remote interviews for some time, of late more than ever. Effective interviewing is extra challenging without the ability to read body language, gain insight into a person’s energy level, presence and gravitas.
A few tips to share whether you are the hiring authority or candidate:
- Set the scene – A simple background is best. A blank wall or similar. Natural lighting is preferred, if possible. Light should come from in front of you or to your side, never behind you. Use your program’s preloaded backgrounds if necessary.
- Lights, Camera, Action – Make certain your webcam is at eye level. Use a couple of books under your laptop or raise your Varidesk. We have all had the misfortune of looking up grandpa’s nostrils during a family facetime call. No headphones please. Candidates – dress according to the company’s code but simple. No bright colors or bold patterns. Subtle and boring wins. Look at the camera, not your own image to enable eye contact with the interviewer.
- Test your tech – Make certain your equipment is ready to roll, webcam, speakers, internet. If your wireless speed is less than 1.8 megabits/sec use an internet cable direct to your modem. Practice with a friend. Remember look at camera – do not look down or at your own pretty face.
- Protect against distractions – Turn off smartphone and put it out of sight. Turn off all other programs on your computer. Shut down all notifications and reminders.
- Make it conversational – A bit tougher to do virtually but equally as important for both sides to “get the feel”.
- Wow factor – Both interviewer and interviewee need to remain mindful of creating a wow factor, easier done in a face to face. Stay focused, exude passion, be yourself.
Heck, if you are not confident in conducting a virtual yourself (here comes the shameless plug), call us – we are always happy to help.
BE WELL! STAY SAFE!
All the best,
Bob Gershberg |CEO|Managing Partner|
(888) 875-9993 ext 102
Finding tomorrow’s leaders today!